Understanding and knowing all your options may help you find a better solution. A housing counselor can help, but staying up to date on current programs and issues may also help.
Below are a list of websites that you may find useful:
- Consumer Finance Protection Bureau - The CFPB works to give consumers the information they need to understand the terms of their agreements with financial companies. They are also working to make regulations and guidance as clear and streamlined as possible so providers of consumer financial products and services can follow the rules on their own.
- Freddie Mac Loan Look-Up Tool – Provides a quick, secure way to see if Freddie Mac owns your mortgage.
- Know Your Options - Provides resource for housing education and information, including a search feature to find out if Fannie Mae owns your loan.
- Loan Modification Scam Alert - Highlights some common scams today’s homeowners need to look out for.
- Making Home Affordable - Provides an overview of the federal government’s programs for helping troubled homeowners.
- Prevent Loan Scams - Created as part of the National Mortgage Settlement, Prevent Loan Scams helps homeowners understand what counseling and legal resources are available in their state.